June 10, 2015

Quinoa & Chicken Fried "Rice" -- and the reason for my hiatus



What's with my two-and-a-half month hiatus from food blogging?  I've had a very good reason.  We just bought and moved into a new house!  I'm surprised at how quickly this place has felt like home to us.  It is taking me some time, however, to adjust to a new kitchen.  I still haven't had time to set up a food blogging station at my new house, so I ended up taking this photo on the windowsill of my bay window.  Not too bad!  I'm so happy that I can finally food blog again.  I've missed it! 

Even though we're settled in, there are still boxes that haven't been unpacked yet.  Last night, we were craving Chinese food for dinner, so I started gathering ingredients to make fried rice.  I couldn't find my rice anywhere, so I decided to use quinoa instead.  I love how quinoa takes on the flavor of whatever ingredients you cook with it.  Easy to make, delicious and healthy! 




Ingredients:

  • 1 c quinoa, rinsed well and drained
  • 2 c water (or chicken broth)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp sesame oil, divided
  • 3 tbsp butter, divided
  • 1/4 c onion, diced 
  • 2 large carrots, diced 
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely minced 
  • 1/2 c frozen peas
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ginger
  • 1/2 tsp brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce, divided, or to taste
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed 
  • Pepper, to taste 

Directions:

Prepare the quinoa.  Combine the rinsed quinoa and water in a medium sauce pan.  Bring the water to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low and cover.  Cook the quinoa for 15 minutes.  Remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat a large skillet over medium heat.  Add 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter to the hot skillet.  Add the onion and carrots and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.  Stir in the peas, ginger, brown sugar and 1 tbsp of the soy sauce.  Move the contents of the skillet to one side.  Add the egg and scramble.  Move the egg to the side along with the other ingredients.  Add 1 tablespoon of the butter and the remaining 1/2 tbsp of the sesame oil to the skillet.  Add the chicken and brown on all sides.  Stir together all of the contents of the skillet.  Continue to cook for 2 minutes. 

Pour in the cooked quinoa and stir well to combine.  Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.  Continue to cook until the chicken is cooked through.  Season with pepper and soy sauce, to taste. 

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: