October 3, 2014

Simple & Succulent Slow-Roasted Pulled Pork Barbecue


This recipe is so easy that I almost didn't share it, but it came at the perfect time, so here it is!  It was a very long day of work immediately followed by cleaning, running errands (piano lessons, groceries, etc.), helping my little sous chef with her homework (Everyday Math can be so frustrating)... all while being reminded that I hadn't fulfilled my promise to "play with me" yet.  At the end of the day, I thought to myself, "I sure am glad I put that pork in the oven at 6:00 this morning!"  It was dinnertime.  I yanked the pork out of the oven, pulled it apart, mixed in some barbecue sauce, and served it on buns.  Viola!  After a day like that, I'm thankful for an easy meal!  It's so tender and juicy... and with little-to-no effort on my part!  Time for wine.  Cheers!



Ingredients:
Yields 4 to 5 cups of pulled pork

  • 8 lb bone-in, skin-on pork shoulder 
  • 8 garlic cloves, mashed into a paste (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
  • Sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Celeste's Barbecue Sauce (recipe follows), of your favorite 


Directions:

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

Score the skin with a sharp knife in a crisscross pattern about 1 inch apart and 1/8 inches deep.  Generously season with pork with salt, and pepper.  Rub the garlic paste over all (or sprinkle garlic powder over all)

Place the pork on a rack in a roasting pan.  Roast the pork skin side up uncovered for 12 hours (up to 14 hours).  Allow the pork to sit for 20 minutes before slicing.  At this point, I discard the skin, but you may certainly serve the skin along with the meat.  Pull the pork apart with two forks, discarding any fat.  Stir in as little or as much of your barbecue sauce as you'd like.  

Enjoy!


----------------------------------------------------------------




Celeste's Barbecue Sauce:
Yields about 12 oz

  • 1 c onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp molasses
  • 1 2/3 c ketchup
  • 1/2 c vinegar
  • 1/3 c brown sugar
  • 1/3 c Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp liquid smoke
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • Pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste


Directions:

Saute the onion and garlic in a sauce pan over medium heat until the onion is tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.  
Stir in the remaining ingredients.  Turn down the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Strain out the onions.


Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: