July 22, 2014

Quick Shrimp & Vegetable Stir Fry with Jasmine Rice


I am obsessed with my griddle.  It was a gift from my lovely mother last Christmas, and I honestly don't know how I survived without it before!  This past spring and summer, I have literally cooked 90% of my meals on it.  I especially enjoy making stir fry on the griddle because there is much more cooking surface to work with.  In this stir fry, I used freshly picked organic zucchini from the garden, and all of the other ingredients used were organic, with the exception of the Jasmine rice.  I still have some left in my pantry from before we started switching to organic ingredients.  

This happens to be week 4 of switching to organic ingredients.  I've also made the switch to organic shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, soap, etc., but I'll spare you the details since this is a food blog and all.  I'll admit, there have been times here and there that I've cheated for the sake of convenience.  I can't always drive 20 minutes to Wegmans when I run out of bread and my daughter wants a sandwich stat.  I guess that will all come with better planning on my part.  It has definitely been a fun learning experience.  We also still have more items in our fridge and pantry that we have to use up before we switch those over to organics, but I'm excited to see our progress thus far.  



Ingredients:
Serves 4


  • 1 tbsp sesame oil 
  • 1/4 c butter, divided 
  • 1/4 c onion, diced 
  • 1/2 c carrot, diced 
  • 1 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch sticks 
  • 1/2 c frozen peas 
  • 1 large clove garlic, finely minced 
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 4 c cooked jasmine rice
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce, plus more to taste 
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined 
  • 1/4 tsp pepper, or to taste 
  • Freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste 

Directions:

Preheat griddle to 400 degrees, or preheat wok (or large skillet) over medium-high heat.  

Add the sesame oil and 1 tbsp of the butter to the hot griddle.  Once the foam subsides, add the onion and carrot.  Cook for 3 minutes.  Add the zucchini, peas, garlic, ginger, and brown sugar.  Cook and stir for 5 minutes.  

Add the cooked jasmine rice, 1 1/2 tbsp of the butter, and soy sauce.  Cook and stir for 5 minutes.  Fry the egg on an untouched part of the griddle until cooked through.  Stir the egg into the fried rice.  Move the contents of the griddle to one side.

Add the remaining 1 1/2 tbsp of butter to the untouched side of the griddle.  Add the shrimp.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook the shrimp on both sides until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side (depending on the size of your shrimp).  Incorporate the shrimp into the rice mixture.  Season with soy sauce and pepper, to taste.  Squeeze lemon juice over all, to taste.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: