March 10, 2011

Rosewater Turkish Delight



The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was one of my favorite movies growing up.  I remember watching it at least once a day during summer break from school and memorizing every line.  One thing that I could not understand is what it was about the Turkish delight that enticed Edmund to keep coming back to the white witch and ultimately betray his own siblings?  What exactly is Turkish delight and what does it taste like?  Well, thanks to Annalise at Completely Delicious, I can now say that I know.  It is a soft, sweet candy that comes in a whole variety of flavors.  It is time consuming but definitely worth the effort!  Next time, I will flavor it with orange extract... the flavor options are endless!  I omitted rolling the candies in coconut at the end because I am generally not a fan of it but I'm sure it would be a wonderful addition if you like that sort of thing!

Ingredients:
Printable Recipe
  • 4 c sugar 
  • 4 1/2 c water, separated 
  • 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice 
  • 1 1/4 c cornstarch 
  • 1 tsp cream of tarter 
  • 1 tbsp rosewater extract 
  • Red food coloring, a few drops to desired color 
  • Confectioners' sugar, as needed 
Directions:

Line a 9x9-inch pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.  Set aside.

In a medium sauce pan, whisk together the sugar, 1 1/2 cups of the water and lemon juice.  Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, whisking frequently.  (Use a wet pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals from forming on the sauce pan.)


Once the mixture comes to a boil, insert a candy thermometer and allow the mixture to continue boiling, without stirring, until it reaches 240 degrees fahrenheit (about 10 to 15 minutes of boiling time to reach that temperature).


Meanwhile, while the sugar mixture is boiling, in a large saucepan, whisk together the cream of tarter, 3 cups of the water and cornstarch.  Whisk vigorously and constantly to prevent lumps and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.  The mixture will become very thick.  Set it aside.

 

When the sugar mixture reaches 240 degrees fahrenheit, slowly pour it into the cornstarch mixture, whisking vigorously and continuously.  Return the mixture to a boil.  Turn down the heat to low and cook for 1 hour.  Stir the mixture every 2 to 3 minutes to prevent from burning.  The mixture should be pale yellow and extremely sticky.


Remove from heat and stir in the rosewater extract and food coloring.  Quickly pour the mixture into the prepared pan and place uncovered in a cool place overnight.  Do not place it in the refrigerator.


Remove from the pan to a surface sprinkled with confectioners' sugar.  Cut into squares with a greased knife and roll around each piece in the confectioners' sugar.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. How interesting!! I've always wondered what Turkish Delight was too.
    P.S. I'm so impressed with the gourmet cooking you did at your cooking class. It all looked fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really beautiful. I've heard of these before but never tied them. No That I have a recipe I have no excuse. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, ladies! They didn't last long here :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this different recipe! I am sure my daughter would thoroughly enjoy this! Your photos looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i've always wanted to try making this! i am totally adding this to my baking goals list!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: