January 23, 2009

Skinny Recipes


Click the recipe name to view the recipe!




I'm here to profess my undying love for my Instant Pot.  I've made so many wonderful things with it, and it's hard to choose what has been my favorite so far.  Chicken that literally falls off the bone, pot roast that melts in your mouth, healthy bone broth, hearty soups, amazingly creamy...



In a few days, I'm going to hit the halfway point of my pregnancy, and I have been having some serious cravings!  Mostly good things like apples and grapes... some not-so-good things like chocolate milkshakes and fries.  Another weakness of mine recently has been pesto.  I could seriously slather that stuff on anything!  I decided to make a baked pesto chicken for dinner tonight and add some...



Well, it's official:  After a lot of prayer, we've decided to start homeschooling my little sous chef starting the next school year!  I'm both excited and nervous for this new adventure we're about to embark upon.  Seventh grade is no joke, and I've been spending countless hours researching curriculum, obsessing over state laws, etc.  One of my plans is to get her cooking...




It took me a while, but I finally figured it out.  I now have a specific spot in my house set up that is intended solely for food blogging!  Since we've moved, I've been taking photos in my bay window, which makes it extremely difficult to get a good picture when the sun goes down before dinner.  Now I have my lighting and everything set up to where I don't have to rely on the time/position of the sun!  Even though...



I know, I know!  It's been eight whole months since my last blog post.  Yes, I've been buzzing away in the kitchen, but sadly I haven't grabbed my camera to share some of the new things I've been doing.  Speaking of "new" things, we've been experiencing a lot of them this past year.  With moving into our new house, starting a new job, getting used to a new school for my...


No interesting story behind this dish -- just another weeknight meal that I'd like to share.  It earned an "excellent" rating from my family.  It's healthy, delicious, and you'll find yourself coming back for more... and more!  


I'm a little late.  Tomorrow is March, and I'm just now sharing my first post of the New Year.  While 2015 was very eventful for us, 2016 seems to be giving it a run for its money.  I was laid off from my job of nearly ten years, which was sad in itself and wasn't the best timing in the world considering we had just bought our new house.  Thankfully, I was blessed to be able to quickly find...



I've had my house decorated for Christmas since the first week in November.  If you think I'm crazy, that's okay - so do my friends and family.  I've just been so excited to spend our first Christmas in our new house!  I did exercise some restraint by not plugging in my outdoor lights until after Thanksgiving.  Now that Thanksgiving is over, I can finally let my inner Christmas freak out!  It's been amazing...



These granola bars are a much better alternative to the processed stuff in a box.  They're easy to make, delightfully chewy, and seriously delicious.  My daughter goes nuts over them, and I frequently catch her sneaking into the kitchen to get "just one more bite".   



When we bought our new house in the end of May, I knew that time was of the essence, so I hurriedly planted a vegetable garden.  I also started a compost pile, which is finally turning into beautiful, rich soil.  Other than dealing with Canada thistles (help!), we have naturally healthy, rock-free soil here.  I can't wait to see how well my garden does when I add compost to it! If your...




Since we're still in the process of getting established in our new home, I've been sticking to quick-and-easy meals for dinner.  Hasselback chicken is a concept that I came up with after getting very frustrated with all the butterflying, pounding, rolling, stuffing, and fastening of chicken breasts for stuffed chicken.  It's seriously easy to make.  My favorite thing about it is that you can easily...




What's with my two-and-a-half month hiatus from food blogging?  I've had a very good reason.  We just bought and moved into a new house!  I'm surprised at how quickly this place has felt like home to us.  It is taking me some time, however, to adjust to a new kitchen.  I still haven't had time... 



Unseasonably cold weather got you down?  This lightened-up Tuscan chicken is sure to incite thoughts of spring!  It's light, healthy, and full of flavor but without all the carbs.  Boiled summer squash is used in place of pasta and paired with a delicious, creamy, veggie-packed topping spooned over juicy, herbed chicken. 





Wednesdays have turned out to be quite the busy day for us this year.  Once school lets out for the day, it's Girls on the Run until 5:00 followed by a mad rush to finish homework.  We then prepare & eat dinner all before dance practice from 6:30 to 8:00.  This is one of my favorite meals for busy...





My husband and I celebrated 11 years of marriage this past Valentine's Day!  We look forward to a romantic getaway every year, but once the celebrating is over, we come to the grim realization that we have to endure the long, bitter winter that just seems to go on and on... and on and on... like a bad run-on sentence.  You know it's brutal out when the school districts are closed because...



Vegetarian Cauliflower Fried "Rice"

We're expected to get about a foot of snow between today and tomorrow!  Since my little sous chef and I were snowed in today and I was able to finish work early, I decided to venture into the kitchen and try something different.  I've been noticing cauliflower being used in place of rice in recipes, and I've wanted to try it for myself for quite some...



Homemade Almond Milk (Step-By-Step Instructions)

Making your own almond milk is so easy!  You just need to plan ahead for it.  It's raw, lactose-free, unprocessed, and healthy.  It's also creamy and delicious!  Simply soak the almonds in water for 12 hours, drain them, and then process the almonds in the blender with fresh water.  You can also add other...



Skinny Overnight Oats with Chia Seeds, Blueberries & Banana

My little sous chef was home sick yesterday with a yucky cold.  The only thing that she wanted to eat all day was oatmeal.  I get it.  It's comforting, it's tasty, and it warms the soul.  There are also so many wonderful health benefits to eating oats, and I have been trying to incorporate them...



Superfood Quinoa & Three-Bean Chili (Vegetarian)

Oh, to be a kid again and wake up to find you have a two-hour delay from school!  When I was a kid, winter was my favorite time of year, and everything seemed to be magically followed by a hot cup of cocoa.  Now?  Not so much.  Right now, you could ice skate on my driveway, my car is covered in ice, the air hurts my face, and I really don't want to know what my electric heat is...



Juicy Pork Tenderloin with White Wine & Shiitake Mushroom Pan Sauce

On average, we have pork tenderloin once every other week.  The secret to cooking the juiciest, most tender pork tenderloin is simple.  Sear it, roast it until it reaches 140 degrees, and rest it for 20 minutes covered.  While it's resting the juices redistribute throughout the pork, all while bringing the temperature to 145 degrees.  Marinating definitely helps, but if you don't have time to marinate it, that's fine!  It still turns out juicy and tender.  You can even purchase pork tenderloin...



15-Minute Shrimp Mei Fun

We've been pretty busy lately, so I've been making a lot of my quick and easy dinners.  Of all of my 15-minute meals, this one is my family's favorite.  It's better than anything you can get from Chinese take-out (or so my husband proclaims), and it is incredibly easy to make.  Mei fun simply means thin rice noodles, which you can find in the foreign section of your grocery store...



Spaghetti Squash, Chicken & Broccoli Soup with Cinnamon

Nothing satisfies the soul on a cold autumn day quite like a warm bowl of homemade soup.  This is a delicious lightened up version of chicken and broccoli soup that is both hearty and healthy.  Instead of using pasta or rice, I added roasted spaghetti squash.  What...




Exactly one week ago, on August 6th, I celebrated my 33rd fifth 29th birthday.  My husband and I called off work, and he had the entire day planned out, babysitting and all.  How exciting!  We started the day off at the Parc Bistro for brunch, where I enjoyed some amazing bouillabaisse, and he had the bourbon shrimp BLT.  Look at the evidence below - I'm turning...




The days are growing colder, and the nights are creeping earlier.  What do I love about fall?  So many things!  Baking pies and breads, picking pumpkins and apples, crunching leaves under my feet, sipping hot cocoa, breathing in the crisp air, and wearing chunky sweaters with fuzzy socks and boots!  Yesterday was the first official day of autumn, though it's felt like autumn for...




I can never relate to the parent that says they're happy to shove their kids back on the school bus and get them out of their hair when school starts back up.  For me, it's a sad time.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited that my little sous chef is getting bigger and starting 4th grade, but I really do enjoy those precious moments of summer break with her each day!  If you haven't...





My husband was out golfing and wasn't going to make it home in time for dinner, and my  little sous chef had some leftovers that she was looking forward to eating.  It was a very peculiar situation that I found myself in... but I wasn't about to complain!  I had...





This summery fruit salsa makes for an attractive and delicious garnish to grilled chicken, pork, and fish.  It's also good as a dip for tortilla chips.  Light, fresh, healthy, and easy to throw together - perfect for your summer festivities!





Organic heirloom tomatoes are given a Southwestern flare, stuffed in a hearty portobello mushroom, and topped with an egg.  It's a healthy and delicious vegetarian breakfast with a little bit of a spicy kick.  If you're not into the whole vegetarian thing, cooked bacon or ham are lovely additions.  Happy Friday!  





Happy 600th recipe post to me!  My first recipe was in February of 2010, and I never would have imagined that my blog would come this far!  Thank you to all who have been following along in this exciting, tasty journey.  

When I was working on this blog post, I wasn't aware that this marked the 600th recipe.  I would have otherwise made something a little more "elaborate"...





Mahi Mahi is one of my favorite fish to eat.  It's a hearty, yet delicate, mild-flavored fish with a slight sweetness to it.  In this recipe, I pan-seared it in a little butter and garlic, and then topped it with a fresh and crunchy homemade mango salsa.  Light, healthy, bursting with flavor, and...





The first time I introduced my husband to guacamole, he was not a fan of it.  At.  All.  I, on the other hand, am a self-proclaimed guacamoholic.  It's very healthy, but I try hard not to overindulge because of the high calorie count.  A few years back, we fell in love with these beautiful salads at a local Mexican restaurant that included a little side of guacamole.  I don't know if...





This savory summer skillet is satisfying, skinny and speedy.  Try saying that 5 times fast!  Turkey sausage is sauteed with fresh summer vegetables and then tossed with a little red wine, fat free milk, Parmesan, and gemelli pasta.  It's a delicious meal that is low in calories, low in fat, and ready in under 30 minutes.  That's pretty perfect for summer! 





School is out and we've been busy enjoying the beautiful weather, so blogging has kind of taken a little backseat these past two weeks.  These salmon burgers are a great summer meal because they're easy, delicious and ready in 15 minutes!  You don't have to...





We have quite the weakness for hummus.  It's a staple in our house, and it's pretty simple to make at home.  Simply process garbanzo beans (chickpeas), tahini, garlic, and olive oil in a food processor until creamy.  You can add cumin, paprika, and/or lemon juice if desired...




One of my family's favorite meals is roasted pork tenderloin.  When cooked the proper way, it is so  amazingly tender and juicy.  I love to experiment with different pan sauces while the pork rests, and this is one of my favorites.  It has the loveliest hint of blueberry but it's not overpowering.  





Give your taste buds a fun ride with these vegetarian stuffed mini sweet peppers!  They are given a Mexican spin using cilantro, lime, black beans, rice, corn, tomatoes, onions, and even a little splash of tequila.  The sweetness of the peppers are beautifully...





Just because we're spring cleaning our diets doesn't mean that we have to deprive ourselves of the things that we love!  I had a few hours to myself between my little sous chef's dance recital and violin concert this weekend, so I decided to fool around with some ingredients and make healthy cookies that I can treat myself to throughout the week.  I came up with these flourless...





In my last few blog posts, I touched on how and why we are spring cleaning both our diet and our budget.  We have rotisserie chicken about once a week for dinner, and I usually end up using the leftover chicken in another meal that week.  This time, I wanted to try to stretch out the leftover rotisserie chicken to make two additional meals.  I used 1 cup of the leftover chicken to make a yummy...





We've been doing some spring cleaning of our diets recently, especially since I've gained my usual 5-pound winter weight.  I'm very anxious to get back on the tennis courts and bike trail again!  I had a beautiful package of mixed baby greens...






This is a super healthy and refreshing smoothie that is low in calories and packed with vitamins and minerals.  Oh, and it's pretty darn delicious, too!  I didn't add any honey to my smoothie because my strawberries were sweet enough on their own, but you certainly...





We have been a hot mess of sickness in my home for these past few weeks, and my little sous chef was the last one to get it.  Since all of our weekend plans were shot, I had a little extra time to play in the kitchen.  I wanted to give my baby some relief from her symptoms, so I came up with these cold and flu popsicles.  She thought they were delicious!  I, however, love...





Well, we've made it through the first full week of March without any snow.  Hallelujah!  With Spring being less than 2 weeks away, Daylight Savings being this weekend (don't forget!), and today being Friday, I'm feeling very positive.  I can't wait to see fresh, green grass...





I love this coconut and walnut crusted cod.  The toasted walnut pairs well with the sweet coconut, and it doesn't overpower the fish.  Easy to make, healthy, and ready in 15 minutes!  





We woke up to another four inches of snow this morning.  Uncle!  Who's moving to Florida with me?  I'll start packing.  While the snowstorms have interfered with a lot of our precious plans this past month, they didn't stop us from celebrating our 10-year wedding anniversary.  Life is so amazing when you're married to your best friend!  We had a lovely time away.  However...





Twice-baked sweet potatoes would make a fantastic addition to your holiday meal.  They are easy to prepare and so delicious!  Unlike a casserole, you can easily adjust the toppings to accommodate the preferences of whomever you're serving.  You can also make...





For dinner, my husband asked for what happens to be the most popular recipe on this blog, Cajun chicken stuffed with pepper jack cheese & spinach.  It's one of our top 5 favorite meals but I was having a rough day and honestly was not looking forward to butterflying, pounding, rolling, toothpicking, and de-toothpicking my chicken breasts.  So, I decided to improvise by making deep slits...





I am constantly finding myself in the mood to make something a little different for dinner.  We have an overabundance of tomatoes from the garden, so I decided to use them to make a Southwestern topping to go along with our pork chops.  If you're looking for something a little different that's also tasty, quick, and healthy, you'll want to try this Southwestern spin on...





Here is a healthy baked breakfast that not only looks elegant but is easy to do!  You get two stuffed acorn rings per serving and each ring is only 133 calories!  

Note:  Take care that your acorn rings...





My lovely mother was raving over some carrot soup that she and my dad love, so I asked her to forward the recipe to me one day.  I finally got around to trying it and I'm so glad that I did!  It's rich, creamy, and perfect for a chilly autumn day.  The fennel and cloves add a nice depth of flavor. Instead of sauteing the vegetables, I decided to roast them.  I also added another clove of...





We spent a few hours working in the garden with friends and family a few days ago and found ourselves nearly overwhelmed with how much we had harvested in just one day.  I decided to use some of the freshly picked vegetables in foil packs with some haddock for dinner last night.  Foil packets are perfect for camping and grilling.  Not only are they a cinch to clean up, they also seal...





Cauliflower is packed with many essential vitamins and minerals and it is also low in calories, low in saturated fat, and high in fiber.  It's definitely something that I have been trying to incorporate more frequently into my dinner rotation.  Though not technically "mashed" as the recipe name suggests, the cauliflower is first steamed or boiled and then pureed along with other ingredients...





There is a plethora of fresh kale from the garden and I decided to use some of it in a chicken dish for dinner last night.  This is one of my family's favorites.  The chicken is moist and tender, and the garlicky kale and cheddar stuffing is so good it's hard to believe it's healthy!  If kale isn't currently part of your diet, you should consider throwing it in the rotation because of its health...





It's blueberry season!  Refresh yourself with this delicious, creamy blueberry smoothie.  Rich in vitamins and high in fiber - it makes for a great start to your day!  For a lower calorie version (185 calories), substitute 1 cup of the blueberries for 1 cup of ice.





It's strawberry season!  If you find yourself with an overabundance of strawberries as we have, consider drying them.  When you dry fresh fruit, most of the nutritional value is retained and it lasts weeks longer than if it was fresh.  Dried strawberries make a delicious snack on their own and they also are a great complement to cereal, granola and yogurt.  These are wonderfully sweet, delightfully chewy and slightly sticky... think Craisins. 





Start off your day with this warm, healthy breakfast that's baked in your own personal apple cup.  So good, it's hard to believe they are under 200 calories per serving! 





After a busy day of work and school, we decided to have a fun and peaceful evening on the trail.  On nights like these, I need to have a quick and easy meal to prepare for my family before we head out.  These shrimp tacos are perfect.  Fast and delicious... and not to mention healthy...





Here is a homemade, healthier alternative to those store-bought "fruit" snacks.  They are easy and a lot of fun to make, especially with kids.  The texture is different than your traditional fruit snack.  They are firm but have a more sponge-like consistency.  Try experimenting with a variety of your favorite berries!  Depending on the sweetness of the strawberries themselves, you may or may not...





Cool off with a refreshing, delicious smoothie that is low in calories and packed with vitamins and minerals. 





Cutting down the calories and fat definitely does not compromise the flavor in this Skinny Mac n' Cheese!  Yes, it is possible to enjoy a delicious, cheesy macaroni and cheese with a lot less guilt!  Pureed potato is used as a thickening agent in place of butter and flour, and fat free milk along with reduced fat cheeses are also used.         

Note:  As always, the actual calorie total depends...





Making your own pasta is incredibly easy and rewarding.  I experimented over the weekend with dough and wanted to make it healthier by omitting the egg yolk and also incorporating whole wheat flour.  The results were fantastic!  





My current food craving is quinoa.  I needed to find a way to use up some baby spinach and artichoke and I came up with these tasty little cakes this afternoon on my lunch break.  They are more than just delicious - they are highly nutritious and only 100 calories per cake!





My back door was sending me conflicting information a few days ago - snow in spring?  It can't be!  Even though spring hasn't quite started out as I had hoped, I am still in the spirit.  We have already started on our spring cleaning and I have been admiring the pretty little robins pecking away at the suet from my back door.  How lovely it will be to open my windows and let the sweet spring...





What does a Sunday afternoon look like for you?  If you were to peek into my house, you would see my husband and I rummaging through our fridge/pantry/cabinets while making a detailed grocery list and planning out our meals for the upcoming week... coupons fluttering about.  





Flaky fish enveloping tender asparagus served with buttery, garlicky beurre blanc - my heaven on a plate!  Delicious, healthy and easy to make, it can be served as a weeknight meal or a special occasion.  I served this with a side of baby spinach salad and a glass of white wine.





My plans this past weekend were completely shot because I spent Friday and Saturday taking care of my sick little girl.  By Sunday afternoon, she was feeling better and we decided to continue on with our plans to go to my brother-in-law's house to sow seed for the garden this year.  Unfortunately, after all was said and done, I wasn't afforded the time to plan out my meals for the week, so...





Looking for a romantic dinner to impress your Valentine?  This crab-stuffed flounder is elegant, sinfully delicious and incredibly easy to make!   






Opt for a healthier choice for your Super Bowl festivities this year without sacrificing flavor!  I came up with these buffalo broccoli bites after feeling guilty about my lack of healthy snacks.  These bites are breaded in Panko crumbs, baked in the oven and then drizzled with a delicious, spicy buffalo sauce.  Yum!





I've been in quite the Mexican food mood recently.  After making that delicious Black bean Pico de Gallo, I decided to use it as a topping with some chipotle shrimp tacos for dinner one night.  These are definitely a contender for my favorite taco!  The tangy Pico de Gallo...





Fresh, tangy, slightly sweet, spicy, crunchy, healthy, low in calories... the perfect condiment to dip your tortilla chips into or top your tacos with!  Pico de Gallo is an uncooked Mexican condiment that contains much less liquid than salsa, so it can be used as a main ingredient in your favorite Mexican dishes.  It's very versatile, so you can add or subtract ingredients to your own taste.  





Need a meal that's just as delicious and satisfying as it is fast and easy to prepare?  Well, this recipe is for you!  It is one of my family's favorites meals and can be made in 15 minutes!  Serve with crusty bread and a glass of wine.  





This has become one of my favorite fall traditions.  Poached pears in red wine is a beautiful and elegant dessert that is simple to make and divinely delicious.  Put this on your list of desserts to try - you will not be disappointed!  





We harvested so many sweet blueberries from the garden yesterday and I decided to use them in baked oatmeal.  This has a soft banana base with sweet blueberries, warm oatmeal and crunchy walnuts throughout, and a crisp topping.  Drizzle some maple syrup on top and...





Here is another great summer dish, a delicious Italian spin on the classic grilled cheese sandwich!  I came across the recipe on Closet Cooking and it has quickly become one of my favorite sandwiches.





This salad is cool, fresh, crunchy, packed with nutrients and perfect for summer.  If you're unfamiliar with quinoa, it has a light and fluffy texture and a mildly nutty flavor.  It is easy to digest and is not as filling as other grains.  Quinoa dates back to the ancient Inca civilization and was referred to as the Mother Grain in the Inca culture.  It is a complete protein, which means that it contains...





This is another perfect appetizer for the super bowl.  Before I go on about the recipe, I have a question:  Who here is addicted to Pinterest?!  *Raises hand with a big, nerdy grin on her face*  Me!  Me!  I find myself constantly inspired and intrigued while browsing through the limitless, stunning photos.  It seriously is an addiction.  On my "Food To Make" board, I have some really tasty-looking pins, one of which I have been dying to try by Domestic Fits.  I stuck to the recipe for the most part but I added...





One of my family's favorite snacks is bruschetta.  Besides serving it with roasted garlic bread, I have experimented with chicken, pizza and even mixing up the Italian snack with a southwestern flare.  Tonight, I had planned on salmon for dinner and I was also craving bruschetta, so I decided to put the two together.  It turned out amazing and the tangy, sweet tomato topping is the perfect...





I spent all day Saturday preparing food from homemade ice cream to potato salad for two picnics.  Fruit kabobs are a perfect side because they are naturally delicious, healthy, colorful and very fun for the kids.  Be sure to clip off the sharp ends of the wooden skewers for the younger ones!





This is light, healthy and full of flavor.  I make many variations of this but this is my favorite version with apricot being a close second.  Try this with your favorite fruit preserve. 





Happy Memorial Day!  I hope you all have a wonderful time this extended weekend with family and friends remembering those who bravely served and gave their lives for this country.  





This week and most of the following week, I am covering work for a fellow medical transcriptionist in addition to my own work.  Needless to say, I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed and extremely tired by day's end.  In fact, I have had no time to shop for groceries this week, so I have been utilizing the contents of my freezer.  These are the times that I rely heavily upon the crock...






My family loves Chinese food and we could easily live the rest of our lives eating nothing but it.  Every Monday as I am preparing meals for the week and making my grocery list, I ask my husband if there is anything specific he would like for dinner.  He normally says the same thing:  "Not really.  Do whatever you want."  Thanks for the help, dear.  This week, however, was different.  He surprised me with a list of four different meals...





This meal is perfect for a Valentine's Day dinner. Not only is it healthy but it is simple, quick and very tasty. Oh, and it contains four aphrodisiacs: Salmon, pomegranate, orange (citrus) and lettuce! The pomegranate-orange sauce is sweet and compliments the salmon very well. I also made a dill-mustard sauce for some variety for my husband (recipe follows). My family loved both sauces...




Cheese was $1.50 a block at my local grocery store, so I took advantage of the sale and bought a few, one of which was pepper jack cheese.  My husband and I snacked on some of the pepper jack over the weekend and started chatting about the different dishes we could create with it and we came up with this.  It turned out fabulous!  The chicken is cooked to perfection and has a wonderful...





One of my family's favorite movies is Ratatouille. I often wondered about the dish that Remy served the food critic. I have had ratatouille before but I have only had it as a stew and as a side dish. I decided to do some research on it and came across something very interesting. The true name of the dish is Confit Byaldi, created by Thomas Keller. The New York Times posted the recipe in...





This is a healthy and delicious meal. Something about salty spinach with warm honey mustard chicken and nuts paired with the sweetness of strawberries and oranges makes me feel deliciously happy inside. Spinach cooks down a lot, so be sure to have plenty on hand! 

1 comment:

  1. I have found this site. You can visit this site to boost your click speed specially for gamer who can check his or her click speed and can boost it Clicker Test

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: